basically the assignment was to think of a movie that triggered
a memory, a feeling, and from there just write.
and ive been wanting to
upload it, so here it goes.
A Parallel Case
As I sat on the plane ride bound to Boston, finishing up the nearly three hour film, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I found myself deeply intrigued by Brad Pitt’s character, Benjamin, and his compelling and soul-filling story of relationships, love, and self-discovery. Unlike Benjamin Button however, I have yet to experience the loss of close familial and personal relationships, but by just observing his mourning and emotions I was able to place myself in his position, and from there the tears began to flow.One of the most poignant relationships showcased in the film is that between Benjamin and Geenie, the woman who found him at birth and reared him.. Their bond was one that stood the test of physical ailment and broke through racial barriers; it highlighted a love that many individuals share with their parents. Observing their interactions and the deep love they shared reminded me of my own mother and her role in my life. The sacrifices, the numerous responsibilities and roles she played not only as a mother, but also as a friend, a daughter, a wife, a workingwoman, and a lover – they were all right here, on this thirteen inch screen, right in front of me.
I pressed pause. Unable to stop the tears from flowing, and attempting to get myself together as I sat amongst the other collected and tired first class passengers. It just seemed like this movie was able to capture so much of my own life in a little under a few hours.
Her ability to maintain, balance, and excel in each of her roles was and continues to be the most magnificent gift my mother possesses. Geenie herself, a caretaker, a wife, and a mother exemplified this exact multi-dimensionality.
And again, my emotions took control, navigating their way from within my body to my oval-shaped face, running down my cheeks, and quickly kissing the back of my hand as I saw the flight attendants making their ‘check-up’ rounds. I was afraid that they would inquire on my condition. Clearly frazzled and emotional, I tried my best to erase the physical signs and was eager to press ‘play’ to continue along this curious journey. Unsuccessful in doing so, the gentleman asked if everything was all right and I avoided eye contact and said, “Yes, I’m fine.”
Play.
The movie continued. Benjamin got younger as the years progressed. He made friendships, worked on a boat, and fell in love. One day, after returning from Paris, Benjamin returns home – eager to see his mother and the nursing home residents. Except, this time was different, Geenie was nowhere to be found and the house itself was rather empty. By the look on Benjamin’s face, he too was empty. Longing for a mother’s touch, a mother’s smile, and a nurturing soul to count on, he called her name over and over again. There was no response. And I, as well, lost myself once again as I sat imagining life without my mother and a home filled with unfamiliar silence.

No comments:
Post a Comment